- Applicants must apply for the license together.
- Both must be 18 years old or older.
- There is no waiting period, blood test, or physical requirements.
- The marriage license is valid for 30 days, including the date issued.
- The marriage license is valid anywhere in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
- Both must present an acceptable form of ID, such as a driversâ€™s license, government issued picture ID, original birth certificate, passport, or social security card.
- There is a $35.50 fee for the license.Â We accept cash or an in-state check (only from applicants).
Marriage with person under age 18
The following requirements must be met prior to issuing a marriage license if the applicant is under 18:
- Must be 16 years of age. No applicant under 16 may be issued a marriage license without an order from the District Court. The female must be pregnant before the court will issue an order.
- A female minor must make application in the county of her parent’s residence, but can get married in another county after she has completed the requirements for the license.
- A Consent to Marriage Form (84-FCC-501) is required. This must be completed, witnessed, signed by the parent or legal guardian* of the minor, and sworn by the deputy clerk. (A guardian must bring the document affirming guardianship).
- One parent or legal guardian* and two witnesses 18 years old or older, must sign the Consent to Marriage Form for each minor.
- If the parents of either minor are divorced, custody papers are required to sign the Consent to Marriage Form.
- Birth Certificate or Drivers License
*Legal guardian must have full guardianship.
NOTE: Kentucky does not marry minors whose parents reside outside the Commonwealth of Kentucky